Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Two years...

after I start this thing, and I finally manage to track down my forgotten username and password. So we'll see if this leads to any renewed writing.


One thing I struggled with ("struggled with" sounds awfully pretentious, but....) when I was writing this before was whether I was writing for myself or writing for other people. My initial idea was to just write down whatever passed through my head, and use blogspot as a place to keep it, but when I'm writing, I can't help but be influenced at some points by the thought that other people (probably people I know, to some degree) will be reading this. Unless I settle on one approach, this could get confusing.
That said, I don't think I will settle on one approach. Not right away, if ever. But I probably should give some idea of where I'm coming from here.

I started this blog a while back before trailing off to some degree. Part of the reason for that was all the other fantastic hockey blogs I discovered. It soon became apparent to me that I didn't have the historical perspective of a guy like Lowetide, the number crunching ability of the guys at IOF, or the business knowledge of a guy like Tom Benjamin. It was alot easier just to read and learn from those guys.
I had vauge intentions of starting a "hockey book review" blog, which would fill some sort of niche I'm sure, regardless of how in demand it might be. But given my present circumstances, such a blog isn't really feasible. Present circumstances being that I'm currently living in Taiwan, where Stephen Brunt's new book on Bobby Orr isn't what anyone would consider widely available. And I don't feel much like ordering books through amazon.com and then having a wide library to figure out how I'd transport back to Canada in a years time. So that idea might be on hold.


See, here I go again, writing mostly for myself. This is getting awfully long for being a re-introduction.

So to get to my point, I'm not sure what form this blog will take now. Maybe I just want some sort of creative thing to do given my abundance of free time here. Maybe I'd like to develop my writing skills. Maybe I'll abandon this after a few months (weeks) and come back to it in a year with that whole "book review" idea renewed.

Anyway, my point is that I'm not quite sure what I have to contribute to the hockey-logosphere, but perhaps I'll find a niche after all and begin to write for more than just myself.

1 Comments:

Blogger E said...

marhabban, sadiki! (if i may presume)

i know it's late, but i just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on the question of why one writes these things and who one writes for. i don't think you can write a blog for other people- the audience is too small and too disparate. write what moves you or entertains you or interests you, and a lot of the time you'll find (shockingly) that it moves or entertains or interests others as well. i feel like passion has its own sort of gravity, it pulls things into its orbit, finds it's own equilibrium over time.

anyway, best of luck, and i'll be hovering around to nitpick and argue in true interweb fashion...

1/17/2007 4:14 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home